Saturday, May 23, 2009

Hope Chest

I had a conversation with a young lady at my church last week about being a Lady in Waiting, and she mentioned that she was building a Hope Chest.

"What is a Hope Chest?" I asked.

"Well, it's a chest full of things that you are gathering and saving for your wedding day and for the day you will build a home with your new husband," she explained.

I had never heard of the term 'Hope Chest' before, but I was very familiar with the concept. I kept one, in fact, but I have never heard it described thus. 'Hope Chest' is certainly perferable to 'dowry.' Haha!

Yes, a 'Hope Chest' is aptly named, because a woman who keeps one clings to the hope that she will become the kind of woman God wants her to be, and that one day, by God's grace, she will become such a blessing, encouragement, and help to her husband, whoever he turns out to be. That's my hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment